Wednesday 3 December 2014

Writing: A Solitary or Communal Past-Time?

Okay, so we all know the cliche of The Brooding Writer, who sits alone in a darkened, smoke filled room with only fifty coffee cups, each in a different state of decay, for company. The door is shut -- locked, probably -- with a large sign tacked onto the outside written in thick black sharpie:

Keep Out: Muse At Work

The Brooding Writer does not emerge for months, weeks years, not until they reappear -- hissing at the sunlight -- with a perfect first draft clutched tight in their nicotine-stained fingers, ready for press. The Brooding Writer remains in the real world just long enough to make sure no-one butchers their baby, then returns, hunchbacked, to the darkened room, ready to begin again. The Brooding Writer has no care for their readers and their opinions. Afterall, hat difference does it make? The Brooding Writer will write what they write and to hell with everyone else! The Brooding Writer likes a nice thick fourth wall between them and the audience, broken only occassionally in a fit of writers' angst. 

Now, in my time at university, I met a great many people who fit this title. Hell, I even considered it for myself once! It seemed bohemian and artistic and even a necessity to literary success.

For me personally, though, I think I have always been a communal writer. It's what comes from years of fanfiction and craving reviews such as 'Waaahhh what did you do?? More please!!" It's a high that quickly becomes addictive and I learnt the techniques to ensure maximum 'Waaahhh!!' By that I mean supremely sympathetic characters that you torture over and over with wicked cliff hangers. In retospect, I definitely think I treat each chapter - whether in original fic or fanfic - as a little bit like a TV episode.

Each part needs to feel complete and satisfying and, more than anything, have a good hook to keep people coming back for more.

In short, to be a communal writer, you need to have a good connection to your readership. If you want them to care and say nice things, you need to give them something to care about and you need to know how to play with their heartstrings. Be aware, also, of what affects you as a reader. Afterall, No Tears in the Writer, No Tears in the Reader, and I think that is absolutely true.

Brooding Writers are fine, and it's a method that I'm sure works for some, but don't ever think it is a requirment to shut yourself away from the world. I promise you from the bootom of my heart, that there is nothing in the world more satisfying and inspiring than a message from a reader that simply says, 'Wow.' Just like that, full-stop and all. Wow means 'You got me. You and your characters did their job.' Never underestimate the meaning of 'Wow.'

And if you want that Wow, you've got to get out there and connect with your readers.

It's good fun too ;)

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely, totally agree! (How funny! We wrote a post about a bit of the same subject! hihi)
    I love to write for readers too (altho, I am mean and always leave them on mean cliffhangers :P) I'm really considering joining Wattpad and JukePop. Do you now about those?
    Actually, I've already built a profile for both and I've started to write what will be my serials...
    Anyway, keep the good work and keep us posted! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least half the fun is torturing the readers too ;)
      I do know about those, although I haven't joined. Be careful, though -- posting your full manuscript, or even most of it, uses up First Publishing Rights and will make it next to impossible if you want to pursue traditional publishing!

      Delete
    2. Haha yes, it's so much fun to torture readers! hihi Writers are an evil breed.... :P
      Yes, I know about First Publishing Rights :) Thanks for warning me, though! ^_^
      It's actually more for the thrill of it, to connect with readers and to make a name for myself (so far, I've only been a French writer, I am not known in English at all!) And who knows, maybe someday, some one will want to reprint it but hey! I'm fine either way! :)

      Delete