Thursday 18 December 2014

Revision Update

I am currently on page 294 of 397, and it's going well. Not being able to justify the nice fluffy ending I had finished with on the fifteenth, I spent the 16th talking it through with a writing-buddy and came up with a thousand words of rip-your-heart-out-and-shove-it-down-your-throat angst which feels much more natural to end Dragons on. 

Reading through has, so far, been much less excruciating than I had expected it to be. The further in I get, though, the more nervous I become. I certainly understand why people advise letting the MS rest before tackling it. It's much more pleasant to read with fresh, reader's eyes than re-visit the words you wrote only a matter of days ago. Still, it's not as bad as I expected it to be. And I'm trying to keep reminding myself that I wrote two novels in a month and a half so what can I really expect? 

Ugh! I'm itching to continue the story, though, but I really need to get back to Book 1. I think I'm going to hand-sketch Book 4, just dabble with it casually whilst I'm writing 'Moon Path'. My concrete goal for 2015 is to start querying so I really need a finished manuscript ASAP. 

Today it is beautiful and snowing, and I've done all my xmas shopping (how is it only a week 'til xmas???) so I think I'll count this as a good day :) Hopefully I'll finish up revision tomorrow so I can order my Createspace copies. Waah! I'm so excited to see it in print!! 

Here's what I'm listening to today -- Fall Out Boy & Taylor Swift: My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark, Live. Supreme.


2 comments:

  1. I find the revision stage to be the most fun, personally speaking! So even though it might be nerve-racking, its nice to look at your story objectively. You have the time now to fill in plot holes, add conflicts and more snazzy dialogue. With every revision, your story just gets better. And the new ending you describe sounds like a great cliffhanger to end a book with. Sounds like it's going well with you so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow!! I don't even have to tell you to keep up the good work; you're already doing an amazing job at it!!!
    LOL I can so relate about the fluffy vs the rip-your-heart-out ending! And I usually always go for the latter as well! ^_^
    Well, good luck with it all and I look forward to our novel swap!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete