Sunday 7 December 2014

Distractions

It's so easy to get caught up in everything else -- forums and feedback and blog-posts and keeping up with messages -- that you forget that actually, when it comes down to it, the story is the important part.

What I mean is, I've been so caught up in people recently. Talking to people about writing and reviewing excerpts etc. really does give a similar sense of achievement as writing a thousand words does. It's so easy to forget that, without the words of *your* story, none of the rest of it would exist. It's all just decoration and, at the end of the day, when you strip it all down, it's just you that's left with the words you have written. 

I love love LOVE chatting away to other writers. I love being part of an awesomely supportive community. I love encouraging them on bad days and cheering on the good ones, and I love that other people do that for me too. I love doing swaps and reading NaNo novels. I love feeling like I've played a part in someone achieving their dreams. I love that writing *isn't* lonely.

But, if the internet shut down tomorrow, it would just be you and your words. And I think that's an important thing to remember. 

Oh, did I tell you I hit my goal of 85k yesterday? That was a good time. 

Today my goal is less exciting (but it's an at-home day, so that's okay) I want to get to the end of this scene and get a good hook into the next one for tomorrow. Just a few hundred words, I expect, but that's fine with me. 

Alright, music for the day! I'm on a huge Taylor Swift kick right -- that woman is doing awesome things in the music world right now. Every day I'm more and more impressed. So here's Blank Space.


4 comments:

  1. :O Kudos on hitting that 85k!!! It's so awesome! I'm proud of you! ^_^ (And I'm glad I won't have to hit you! haha)
    I absolutely love being a part of the writing community as well! Chatting and blog-posting and commenting and all that... Makes me less lonely and makes me actually wanna keep on writing. ^_^
    So thanks for helping me that way! :D
    Write on! ^_^ And remember: any word count is better than no word count for the day! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on such a huge milestone!!!
    On the flip side, being part of a writing community actually motivates me more to continue with my own writing. After being pumped by other people's success, it makes me more likely to sign off of skype and close down the internet - just to pop up my document and start writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely agree! Other peoples' successes are very inspiring. I think I just need to limit my forum intake before it gets draining XD

      Delete