Sunday 14 December 2014

Pre-Post Jitters

5,000 words to go and I'm getting pre-finish jitters, a weird combination of manic excitement and abject terror. It's the best feeling in the world! Well, one of them.

I'm pretty sure I'll be able to condense 'Guilders' and 'Dragons' down into one, so I'm feeling better about not exactly really finishing-finishing the story. The problem with pantsing is that you end up learning a whole bunch more than you expected to and to do it justice, it really needs more words. I'm getting really excited about cutting it down and focusing it more. Doing that really did wonders with 'Moon Path', so I think that'll be the way to go. 

Yesterday I did 0 words, but I've made up for it today by getting in 3,000 pretty easily. Had a little bit of a a hiccup, but only about 500 words of one so it wasn't too bad. I've come to realize, though, that I really do need to sort out my place name because, well, I don't have any. People names are hard enough, but place names are impossible! The problem with putting off things 'til later is that later never really comes... I did that with surnames and look where that got me!

I also need to focus Aurelia. She's become completely unsympathetic and that's not her purpose at all. Whenever I put her into a scene, she just ends up arguing with everyone. I'm writing way too personally with her and I know I'm going to have to back off and be more objective in the re-write. God, it feels good to get it out though! It's freaking me out a bit how much of myself I've been putting into the story recently, but revision will bring focus and objectivity so I'm not worrying too much. 

Following my good writing morning/afternoon, I'm spending the evening rewarding myself by formatting what I've got and making it pretty. I can't wait to see it in print!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! So you're close to the end too!!! That's so exciting!! :D
    Yeah, 'cleaning up' after the intense writing is always satisfying, kinda like putting everything in its place after you just brought in a massive grocery. It only sucks when you realize you don't have enough cupboards for it all! LOL
    Anyway, I wish you the best of luck with the last mile to go! :D
    Also, writing personally is always a good thing. The more personal you are in a book, the more the readers can feel for your character. If you write objectively, they'll read objectively... Maybe Aurelia could have another purpose? Maybe she came out this way for a whole other reason?
    Anyway, keep up the good work!! ^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TODAY IS GOING TO BE THE DAY! WAAAHHH! I feel like Theoden about to charge into battle XD

      Delete
    2. WOOHOO!!! GO! RUN! Slaughter all these words!!!! ^_^

      Delete