Tuesday 25 November 2014

NaNoWriMo 2014 - Day 24

Happy Thanksgiving, American readers! I know it's two days away, but we're popping off to Kansas City tomorrow to spend it with Christine's brother and his family, so better now than late :)

At 71,000 words today and feeling good. I feel like I'm in a nice little routine, not worry about word count and just enjoying spending time on the story. I'm really really enjoying Kai -- which is a huge relief because, as I said earlier, he's quite different to how I originally imagined him -- but I think he's turning into one of my favourites. And today I got to write Ammy for the first time! Writing female characters has has never really come naturally, and I've never attempted a little girl before, but I'm super excited for how she's turning out! She feels very real, and a proper character rather a caricature of a child, which is good because she has a very important part to play. 

I've had some good feedback on the NaNo forums too, especially regarding Kai and Lome and my dialogue. I've always found dialogue to come quite naturally -- it just makes sense to me to write how I hear it -- much more so than description. I'm training myself with description though, because I do have a tendency to put it off >_< Recently, though, I've found settings to come similarly to characters. What I mean by that, is that I have the initial shadow of the idea of them -- character/setting -- but until I start actually writing them, I really have no idea how it's going to turn out. Logan's island I was very worried would be flat and dull, but as the ship approached it suddenly sprung to life like a pop-up book! Relief! 

Anyhow, got some exciting bits coming up soon so I'm psyched to keep going. 

Today I listened to Imagine Dragons' Warriors and was pretty struck by how closely the lyrics related to Laurie, so that's my music for the day :)


No comments:

Post a Comment