Tuesday 21 April 2015

Editing Progress

Hit page 56 today, which marks the end of part 2 and only 80-ish pages to go! I don't think I've ever been so in love with this story. Secrets time: This is the first time I've ever properly edited anything of my own in my life! Usually I can't bear to even look at it. After NaNos, I drag myself through a basic clean up, all the time wishing for a very lare bottle of gin at my side. But I've barely cringed at all, and that is and INSANE breakthrough, and something that I really wanted to achieve. 

I can't really believe it actually. It never quite seemed possible to be really genuinely pleased with something I'd written. I mean, perfection is an impossibility -- that's just something writers have to come to terms with, as we were discussing in the Cabin this morning -- but satisfaction is certainly the next best thing!

I'm also seriously considering going back to my thoughts of present tense. I posted a sample that I've been dabbling in, and the general concensus was that present tense had a much more magical feel to it than past, which is something I want to aim for in 4th draft. I'm just not 100% convinced that present tense will sustain something of novel length? But then again some of my favourite favourite books are present tense, 3rd person? so maybe? And it would be super helpful to have that change in tense for flashbacks, and using flashbacks in the place of hideously long chunks of exposition (of which there aren't too many this time around!) would be good. 

Humm humm. Need to make my mind up soon! 

No comments:

Post a Comment