Tuesday 25 March 2014

Why?

Every person who has ever set pen to paper has, no doubt, been asked the question, "So, why do you write?"

My own answer to this question is probably one of the most common answers given. I write to escape. I write because it's easier to deal with the problems of my fictional characters in their fictional worlds than to face the utter hopelessness of being unable to deal with my own real life. I write because it makes me feel that I have at least some degree of absolute control over something.

When reality is running away from me, I sit down at my lap top and torture my characters. No matter how difficult I am finding my own life, I can be thankful that I am not them.

I have always been a lover of 'angst', and I have always found it to be where my greatest strength lies. Of course, like every other genre, it can be done very badly and is often unbearably cheesy and unrealistic, but I love it - lovelovelove it! - when it is done properly. When the words are woven so artfully together that you- the reader or the writer - can feel everything so acutely that you forget that it isn't real, it's the absolute most satisfying experience.

I write because I can. I write because doing so makes me feel like I am worth something. There is nothing else in the world that can make me feel like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment