Friday 31 October 2014

Less that twelve hours to go and I'm so unprepared!

I've been putting off and putting off seriously thinking about my story. Like, I know how I want all the pieces to move; I have (almost) the whole game plotted out, but it's the little things that are stressing me out.

I've never really been one to think about my writing in terms of 'themes', but with this project, the more I work on it, the more I find I need to know. I need to know the whys and hows of my characters and, to do that, I need to read and teach myself. Even though it's a (obviously) fictional world and the drug causing the problems is made-up, there are certainly parallels to the real world and, of course, I am dealing with human beings which are fundamentally the same whichever universe you stick 'em in. 

It's very interesting working like this -- backwards, if you will. A lot of writers start with the themes and craft their characters around them. I start with my characters and discover their inner-working as I go. It makes it very tricky when you're toddling nicely along and then you realise, "My god! My main-character is autistic!" so you have to pause and do your research and hope that you've done enough. 

I love research though, I really do, especially in regards to writing. And I love my process. I make notes -- nice, spaced out notes in longhand -- in black pen on the facts, and then annotate in red in regards to my characters and how it applies to the story. 

But ahhhh!!!!! TOMORROW!!! I'M SO EXCITED AND TERRIFIED AND EVERYTHING!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment