Wednesday 8 July 2015

Week One Catch Up

A week in and 15k down! It's been a really good week, progress wise. I've finished Part 2.2, and (bam bam bam!) My friend and I have fallen headfirst into a crazy crossover between our stories, so I've got 7.5k on that one, and 7.5k on Moon Path. It's pretty awesome to see our styles meld and to see how she's playing with my boys :D And for me, it's been great getting into a proper high-fantasy world, a genre I haven't really fiddled with before. It started off as something silly, but it's growing into something pretty expansive! I really like having something 'fun' to do when I'm exhausted by 4th draft writing; I'd forgotten how wonderful free, first-draft writing can be! We've been swapping scenes every day since we started on the 2nd, and that's been really driving me to get on with it. 

Right now I'm debating whether to plough though Part 2.2 (which I'm stalling on) or move onward to Part 3, then go back. Having a bit of a pause with Moon Path because I've been staying at home to clean in perpetration for the descending of the brothers-in-law, so it's good to have some time to think about it. Working on this crossover with Sarah's really pepped me up for Moon Path, I feel like I'm getting a new perspective on the characters that I just couldn't get on my own. They're feeling just a little bit more three-dimensional. That always seems to happen, with every little step they take away from me -- like seeing them drawn for the first time, or giving them to my first readers, and having the first in-depth discussion -- it's a really odd feeling, but I feel proud of them, sitting back and watching them do their thing! My babies are growing up! 


3 comments:

  1. Aaaw what a lovely post! And so sweetly written! I love when you said your characters were gaining dimension as they were walking away from you. Beautiful!
    Anyway, I'm glad you're having such a great time with your Camp NaNo and your friend Sarah! ^_^
    Do you think 4th draft will be the one or is there more work ahead?
    Keep us posted! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you ^^ I'm feeling really hopeful that this'll be the final draft, and the next step will just be a matter of line editing *fingers crossed!!* But who even knows! I've told my wife to physically stop me from rewriting again if necessary! Hope all's well with you :)

      Delete
    2. Hahaha I hope she WILL stop you! Cause writers tend to obsess over rewriting, am I right? ^_^
      All is well with me so far :) Thanks for asking ^_^

      Delete