Wednesday 15 July 2015

Halfway Through


So, it's been a funny few days. Lots of good things happening, so I'll start with those.


First up, more commissions! Weee! This time by the wonderful AndyTheLemon

I've been flailing after her art for a fair while, especially admiring her quick commission sketches (damn! I wish I could sketch like that!) So as soon as she opened them up again, I hopped right on it. I highly recommend her if you've got a spare $10. I love what she's done with the boys <3

Second up, and something I'm still a little in shock about -- I've been picked to be one of the new admins of The Writers' Helpers, where I will be answering questions and giving writing advice. I applied sort of on a whim, not really expecting anything to come of it -- it's a pretty big writing blog, and kind of a pipe-dream -- but eeee! I was so excited when I got the email saying I'd got through to the next round! And yesterday I sent in the last part of the interview process, and they said they'd send the password along shortly after that so... Woop! I've been really wanting to get more involved with the tumblr side of the writing community, so this'll be a fun way of doing it. 

So now for my moan. 

UGH I am so damn stuck on this bloody part! And the worst part is, I know it's just me being stuck in my head because I had such issue with it in the last draft. The problem is, I'm reeaally pleased with the way it ended up last draft, but the way one of my characters has changed means that the whole dynamic between them all has to change too. It's like a triangle -- you alter the degree just a fraction, but that sets the tangent along a completely different course. So I'm trying to work through this AND keep up with my wordcount, and it's just a headache. And I know I should chill out and just do it as it need to be done and relax, but I really really wanted to finish by the end of July, and that goal is slipping away from me and asdfhjk!!!! I feel like I'm never going to finish. It's always 'One more month, one more month', and the months are piling up and I feel stuck in quicksand. And I know it's right for the story, and I'm seriously happy with what I've got so far, but it's killing me!! 

*deep breaths*

It's going to be okay, I know this. There is no hurry, especially with writing. I'll get there in the end.

Update: Today ended up going surprisingly well. Sarah sent me a quote from an article on types of writer's block and how to overcome them which gave me a lot of pep --

10. You're revising your work, and you can't see your way past all those blocks of text you already wrote.
Revising is a nightmare - and if you've adhered to the "write a first draft quickly and then fix it in rewrites" school of thought, you've agreed to a Faustian bargain. There's no way to make this process go faster or more smoothly, a lot of the time. Sometimes it takes a while of looking at your text from different angles to figure out where the problems are, and sometimes you need more feedback from more people to figure out where the real structural weaknesses are.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if you're getting stuck during revisions, that's not any type of Writer's Block (as nebulous a concept as Writer's Block is), but rather just the natural process of trying to diagnose what ails your novel.
Although one thing that works for me when I'm getting stuck with revisions is just to rewrite large sections from scratch, without looking back at your original draft. Same story, new words. Sometimes, it's a lot quicker than trying to wrangle the words you already put down.
So I ended up with 2k of Moon Path AND started a new project. I bought a new notebook and have decided to start free-writing short stories again ^^ I haven't touched short stories in over two years, but I've started having cravings again. So I also have a thousand words of a short story called '3 a.m'. It's very silly but a good start!



















2 comments:

  1. OMG! I can so totally relate to the goal slipping away!
    I see the end of July coming up very quickly and I feel stuck too.
    The words still come out... just not everyday :(
    Sometimes, life gets in the way and some other time, it's just too darn hot to think!!!
    Anyway, I've decided to keep my chin up and make this novel a two-month NaNo project :P
    I'm gonna finish writing it in August, I know it so all is well.... hopefully.

    Wow! The art is nice! That AndyTheLemon is a good artist! :)
    It's fun to see our characters thru the eyes of others, no?

    WOohoo!! Congrats on your "pipe-dream" coming true!! :D
    I'm really glad for you!
    And I'm happy you got to starting a new project as well!
    Looking at the same project for too long can sometimes bring you down till rock bottom. It's good and sane to switch from time to time!

    Well, keep up the good work... and breathe! ^_^
    (I'll be taking that advice myself :P )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aah I think it's a universal thing >_< Ah well, it'll be done eventually, right ;)

      And thanks for the congrats ^^ I got the log in last night and it's pretty overwhelming! I'm getting serious frauditus again lol I don't think I'll ever really feel like I'm qualified to be giving any sort of advice!!

      Hope all your writings are going wonderfully!

      Delete