Thursday 14 May 2015

Rambling Writerly Nightmares

My biggest biggest fear is to be caught in publishing limbo. 

I'm pretty set on traditional-publishing, that's what i'm working towards, but I'm absolutely terrified that my first book will be picked up and then languish, untouchable, in the deepest depths of limbo. 

Moonpath stands well alone, but as I approach starting the second draft of Book2, I'm remembering how much I love it and the thought that it will never see the light of day is horrific. I'd rather self-publish as a series than get stuck like that, all tied up in contracts that I can't escape. 

I wish there was a way of seeing into the future 

Obviously it's waaay to early too have to think about this, and all these bridges will be crossed later, but damn!! It caught me hard today >_< 

1 comment:

  1. Wow that is a whopper of a topic - and it all kinda boils down to "fear of the unknown." Especially when we newbies are trying to get into the industry for the first time. So the only thing I can say is: whatever you are afraid of, learn more about it. Research the differences of self-publishing and traditional. Watch interviews. Connect with other starting authors if you can and hear their testimonies.
    Often, self-published books that have success can still be picked up by traditional markets too. It's all how you present yourself and how much research you are willing to put into it.
    But yeah - first the book should be finished. So as hard as it might be, focus on making your story the best it can be. No regrets.
    Then whatever happens to it in the market, you know that story came from your heart. You did it justice and feel proud of it, no matter what :)

    ReplyDelete