Saturday 23 May 2015

Updates & Art

Firstly, big thank you to Hragon (hragon.tumblr.com)  for this amazing picture of Dakin, Laurie and Ammy! She is truly a spectacular artist, and it's really fantastic to see Laurie and Ammy, in particular, outside my head. As a writer, I struggle quite a lot with visuals, so having something outside of myself to work with really helps the story along. Thank you!

In more general news, it's been a funny sort of week. I spent three days on one scene -- struggling through it one day, writing it out by hand the next (because I'm an idiot and forgot my keyboard) and typing it out again. I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out, and how my problematic character has turned out, but it certainly threw off my gameplan this week. BUT today was good, and I think I wrote well today. Approaching the climax of Part One is pretty exciting, and I'm psyched to start thinking about Part Two and bringing Alyk back into the picture. I really feel like I have a decent handle on him this time around, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that pans out. 

Draft Four is such a funny beast. I'm used to the ups and the downs that come with writing now, but nothing prepared me for how much more intense they would be this time around! Maybe it's because I'm putting more pressure on myself to Get It Right and not have to do another rewrite, idk, but it's certainly pretty exhausting! I told Christine the other day that I was nervous about her reading because she's my harshest critic, and she just looked at me and said, "No, you are." And she's absolutely right. I am bullying myself mercilessly, but I don't know how to stop. I can only hope that -- by the end of this -- it'll be worth it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment