Monday 21 July 2014

A Brit in America

One of the best decisions of the year was the decision to hand-write this story. For one thing, you don't get hung up on word count or formatting, or distracted by the internet, you just sit down and scribble. It's brilliant. I did my first rough word-count a couple of days ago and was amazed to see that I'd gone over the 30,000 mark! It's really coming together, and I couldn't be happier.

However - and it's a big however - I ran out of paper. Which, in itself, is fine - it means I've written a tonne. Which is good.

What is not good is the face that America has vastly different paper to us with three punched holes instead of four, and they don't even align so I can't put the new content in with what I've already done which means I have to get a new folder, and I'm reeaally struggling not to let my Writer's OCD take over... I mean, I've been going between A4 and A5 anyway, so one more size shouldn't matter too much, and nothing is pristine. I'm much less pernickity than I used to be, just like I don't believe in writers' block anymore. It's just another excuse not to sit down and scribble.

It's just very frustrating.

The fortunate thing is that it came right at the end of writing Part 2, so it's a very neat split between types of paper. I'm estimating that I'm about half-way done, so - if I keep going as I am - I should be finished with this draft in a couple of months (scary!)

I'm starting to feel pleased with myself and I can see the end and I don't hate it! It's going to be a good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment